Albatros of Jasta 23b. The 'b' signifies that it was a Bavarian unit. This Albatros aircraft represents 2359/17 which was flown by Leutnant der Reserve Otto Hohmuth. Hohmuth was transferred to the unit from Jasta 32b in September 1917 with 2 victories to his credit. He would score 2 more, a French Caudron on December 10, 1917 and an observation balloon on 19 January. He was wounded on March 6, 1918 by an R.E.8 of no. 13 Squadron R.F.C. He landed his machine intact and spent the rest of the war as a prisoner. This profile originally appeared on the rear cover of the Cross & Cockade Journal, vol. 21, no. 3. Chuck Sterns was the artist.
Roland D.VIa aircraft were received in the late Spring of 1918 and some were still with the unit at the end of hostilities in November when this example was handed over to the Allied inspectors. The Roland D.VI was purported to have good handling qualities, but most pilots wanted the sensational Fokker D.VII.
The Pfalz D.XII was the successor to the Pfalz D.IIIa series fighter. They were received in late summer 1918, this one being flown by Leutnant der Reserve Paul Vogel. Vogel had arrived at the unit on May 4, 1918 and had a short but eventful career there. On July 12, 1918 he was wounded and sent to hospital. He returned after a few days and on July 25 claimed an S.E.5a but did not receive credit. Later that day he was shot down in flames, but parachuted to safety. This activity was repeated again when Vogel was forced to jump from his burning aircraft. The parachute again saved him. His luck ran out, however, when he encountered two S.E.5a aircraft and was shot down and killed. The aircraft looks like it was under control when it landed but lost its landing gear and was somewhat battered. It was not damaged enough to prevent the British from assigning it a 'G' number and featuring it in Flight magazine.
Jasta Boelcke was one of the premier German fighter units of the First World War. Some of the aircraft are illustrated here by artist Chuck Stearns:
This Albatros D.III was the aircraft of Leutnant der Reserve Hermann Frommherz when he flew with Jasta Boelke in the Spring of 1917. He called it the "Blaue Maus".
This Fokker Dr.I was flown by Leutnant der Reserve Hermann Vallendor during the Spring and early Summer of 1918. The rear fuselage and tailplane were painted black on the starboard side/white on the port side.