Hanriot HD.1

The Hanriot HD.1, although built in France, found more acceptance on the Italian Front or with Belgian units on the Western front than with its own countrymen. It was license built by the Macchi company. Below are three profiles of this agile bird by League member Alan Durkota:

This was one of the aircraft flown by Sous Lieutenant Willi Coppens of the 9e Escadrille circa May 1918. The aircraft is finished in a French five-color camouflage pattern. The upper surface of the tailplane was in dark blue and white stripes. All undersurfaces were aluminum doped. The thistle emblem of the 9e Escadrille was in white.

Hanriot HD.1 of Willy Coppens, 9e Escadrille

This Hanriot HD. 1, serial 7501, built by Nieuport Macchi at Varese, was flown in Albania by Franco Sarrocchi while attached to Squadriglia 85a in Valona, Albania, 1918 . The airframe finish was overall aluminum with the fuselage sides overpainted white. Personal markings include a fire breathing dragon of red and green colors on each side of the fuselage. The top decking has three stars: green (leading), white and red. In addition, the forward section of the head rest is finished in a decoration to represent the Bersaglieri unit of which Sarrocchi was a member prior to joining the Italian Air Service. The top surfaces of the upper wing bore cockades with green as the outer color. The under surfaces of the wings were green on the starboard side and red on the port side duplicating the Tricolore of the Italian flag.

HD.1 7501 of Franco Sarrocchi, Squaadriglia 85a, 1918

Finally, we have Nieuport Macchi Hanriot HD.1, serial 6254, flown by Giorgio Michetti while attached to Squadriglia 76a. A red 76 appears at the center of the top wing and on the fuselage sides. Michetti's personal marking was a white seahorse imposed inside a black circle. This design was also repeated on the top of each side of the tailplane unit. Under wing surfaces were as the above example in the Italian Tricolore.

HD.1, 6254, Giorgio Michetti, Squadriglia 76a

Jagdgeschwader II

Jagdgeschwader II was formed on February 2, 1918. Its first leader was the famous Hauptmann Adolf Ritter von Tutschek, winner of both the Pour lé Mérite and the Max-Josef Orden. Following his death in action little more than a month later command was given to another Pour lé Mérite holder, Hauptmann Rudolf Berthold. When the four units which JGII was comprised of, Jastas 12, 13, 15, and 19 began receiving the excellent Fokker D.VII in the summer of 1918 Berthold gave instructions that each of the Geschwader aircraft should be marked with a blue fuselage. In addition each unit would mark the noses of their aircraft in a different color. Some examples are shown below:

D.VII of unidentified Jasta 12 pilot

Jasta 12 had white noses. This Fokker D.VII was flown by an unidentified pilot in Jasta 12.

D.VII of Leutnant der Reserve Werner Niethammer, Jasta 13

Jasta 13 had green noses. This Fokker D.VII was flown by Leutnant der Reserve Werner Niethammer and marked with his sledge hammer insignia.

D.VII of Leutnant der Reserve Hugo Schäfer, Jasta 15

Jasta 15 had red noses. This marking was carried over from when the unit was Jasta 18. Berthold, when given command of JGII prior to Operation Michael had arranged to take his entire Jasta 18 with him and basically change names with Jasta 15. This Fokker D.VII was flown by Leutnant der Reserve Hugo Schäfer.

D.VII of Leutnant Oliver Freiherr von Beaulieu-Marconnay, Jasta 19

Jasta 19 had yellow noses. This aircraft was the Fokker D.VII flown by Leutnant Oliver Freiherr von Beaulieu-Marconnay, a youthful squadron leader who was killed in a tragic case of misidentification by another German aircraft.